St Anne’s Church Carlecotes
St Anne’s was built in 1857 by John Chapman and is now Grade II listed building with a Grade II* listed organ. The whole church remains in its original condition throughout and surrounded by rhododendrons in the grounds of Carlecotes Hall, which dates back to the early 1500s.
The church has held a wedding licence since the 1980s. Although small enough to be intimate, St Anne’s will comfortably hold 110 people. Regular services are held throughout the each year, along with weddings, christenings and funerals.
St Anne’s church is fortunate to retain its Grade II* Listed original James Conacher of Huddersfield organ, dated to 1890.
The church is a popular choice for couples who are looking for a beautiful and historic location in which to marry or hold a christening. Enquiries about weddings, christenings, funerals or other services to be held here should be directed to St John’s Church in Penistone.
History of St Anne’s
Even before St Anne’s was built there was a religious connection with the location. Rufford Abbey had a farm on the same site as St Anne’s, and these barns were known to carry out religious duties.
The Rufford Abbey farm and Grange Barn on the site dated back to 1285. It is thought that stone from the Grange Barn now forms the internal walls of St Anne’s, again maintaining the religious link with the site that dates back over 700 years.
The church was designed by George Shaw of Saddleworth and remains in its original condition throughout.
Arthur Mee noted in his ‘King’s England’ that its “rich woodwork includes eight canopied stalls.”
About the building
Above the inner door is an inscribed stone ribbon recording that the church was erected by John Chapman of Carlecotes and Mottram. The foundation stone was laid by his eldest son Edward on 19th September 1856 and it was opened on 28th June 1857. The interior features arch-braced roof trusses, an elaborate oak pulpit, reading desk and canopied choir stalls.
St Anne’s Church regularly holds events including music concerts and Christmas Carols. To keep up to date, visit our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/carlecoteschurch
Carlecotes is a village in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. Carlecotes is within Dunford civil parish. The village is situated at the eastern edge of the Peak District National Park, approximately 4 miles (6 km) west from Penistone, and just over 1 mile (1.6 km) north from the A628 road.
Carlecotes’ church, dedicated to St Anne, is in the united benefice of Penistone and Thurlstone, and the Diocese of Sheffield. The church was completed in 1857 as a private chapel to Carlecotes Hall, and is a Grade II listed building. Carlecotes Hall, which dates to the 17th century, is 15 yards (14 m) to the north of the church, and also Grade II listed.